Thursday, June 7, 2007

Our First Scare

Well today we went to our first appointment to meet the doctor. She did all the normal physical stuff then went to get the doppler thing to find the heartbeat. After a few minutes of no success she said she was going to get the ultra sound machine and another doc. I thought, no big deal, sometimes it's too early to find the heartbeat. They both came in and started trying to find something on the ultrasound but couldn't find anything at all. By this point I am pretty well aware that something is wrong. The senior doc begins to explain what might be happening. She says one of three things could be going on: a) I'm not as far along as we all thought I was, b) it is caught some where or c) the embryo has been lost. Then she says, do you have any questions - UH, YEAH! So after discussing my options they both leave and call up to Labor and Delivery to see when they would have time to do the "other" ultra sound (some of you ladies know what I mean). They came back in and said to be in Labor and Delivery at 1pm. Noticing it is 10:30 I suggest we both run home, grab a snack and a quick nap then head back up but the doc says no eating in case they have to do emergency surgery... EMERGENCY SURGERY? Ok, totally freaked out now. Also, STARVING, hadn't eaten yet since I was so sick to my stomach. So we ran home, I did have a cheese stick then we were back up at the hospital at 1pm. Unfortunately, the doc doing this ultrasound was still in the OR so we had to wait around another hour for her to arrive. Within minutes though she found a little, fast paces, flickering light and said "OK, I see one pregnancy". SIGH... What a relief to see this little thing inside you and to know that little light was their heartbeat! it was an amazing moment! She measured it from crown to rump and calculated that we are 6 weeks and 3 days - NOT 11weeks... guess those kind of mistakes can happen when you are regular nor count days :) We left with our first picture and I took a very long nap... and of course ate! Talk about a stressful day, but what a blessing!

1 comment:

GG said...

6 weeks...well, the end of january is ok with me!!...for everyone at work, that might be a little stressful having me gone right when tax season gears up...but OH WELL!!!...haha...as you can see, i'm worried about it!...NOT!..guess your tax deduction will have to wait for 2008!